Allah

Allah

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Praying at Work

I have been at my current job for about a year now. This entire time I have been praying during my lunch hour in the chilly warehouse, and missing prayers because I have been too self conscious and afraid to ask my boss to put time in my schedule to pray. This was really affecting my feelings about my job. Everday when I got home exhausted from working, I would have generally three prayers to make up. I really started to resent my job and was seriously thinking about leaving. I longed for a Muslim workplace and a job where my hours were flexible. My job is extremely scheduled, down the the half an hour. Finally I got up the gall to ask my boss if he would consider letting me come in early or what have you so I could get my prayers in on time. At the current time I was working 9:30-6:30pm, which made me miss everything but fajr and dhur. I went in his office and spoke with him privately. I stated that it would be a huge burden off me, and that I would only need a break in the afternoon. He told me that he couldn't guarantee anything, but he would do his best. I felt worried, and dissapointed that he did not automatically say yes, but I went back to my cubicle hoping to get an answer.
Not only did he change my schedule from 8am to 5pm, I now have a break for Asr. Al hamdilillah. My boss is allowing me to pray every single prayer on time. I have been on this schedule since the new year, and I have never felt better. I feel at peace and at ease. My work performance has improved significantly, as did my feelings about my job. If you are having trouble at work, just ask. You never know how you might be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment